What's the Difference?
In choosing your Absorb Plus flavor, please note that SIMPLY is sweetened with dextrose and stevia, UNSWEETENED has flavors but no added sweeteners, and the rest of the flavors are sweetened with natural fructose and stevia.
"Elemental diet therapy is as effective as steroids in inducing remission, whilst avoiding steroid side effects."
- Dr. Bhupinder Sandhu, MD
Absorb Plus is a delicious tasting, 100% natural, elemental (pre-digested for maximum absorption to bloodstream within 20 minutes of ingestion) liquid dietary supplement protein shake. 360 calories per serving.
Certified gluten-free (less than 20 ppm). Made with 100% natural flavors. No artificial ingredients or preservatives.
Whey Version includes Cross-flow Membrane Cold-extracted Whey Protein Isolate (casein-free, lactose-free, not denatured by heat)
Vegan Version includes Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Protein Isolate
Ingredients: Cassava Root (Tapioca) Maltodextrin, Proprietary Amino Acid Blend: L-glutamine, L-glycine, L-aspartic acid, L-tyrosine, L-proline, L-alanine, L-threonine, L-serine, L-glutamic acid, L-cysteine, Vitamin A (as beta carotene), Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate), Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone MK-7), Thiamin (Vitamin B1 as thiamine mononitrate), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2 as riboflavin-5-phosphate), Niacin (as niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal-5-phosphate), Folate, Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), Biotin (Vitamin B7 as D-biotin), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5 as d-calcium pantothenate), Calcium (as calcium phosphate), Phosphorus (as calcium phosphate), Iodine (as potassium iodide), Magnesium (as magnesium citrate), Zinc (as zinc bisglycinate), Selenium (as L-selenomethionine), Copper (as copper bisglycinate), Manganese (as manganese bisglycinate), Chromium (as chromium picolinate), Molybdenum (as molybdenum glycinate), Sodium (as sodium chloride), Potassium (as potassium citrate), Choline, Inositol, Silicon (as bamboo extract), Vanadium (as vanadium amino acid chelate). See Ingredients Tab for detailed ingredient list for each flavor.
What are the benefits of Absorb Plus?
- Easy and gentle on your stomach and digestive system
- Helps maintain or gain solid weight (not fat)
- Daily nutritional support
- Delicious taste - and all natural!
- Feel more energy and sleep better
Used exclusively to provide bowel rest (reduced fecal matter), or along with other foods to provide a low residue diet, or high quality nutrients and healing substances in liquid form. Absorb Plus has been carefully formulated to meet the unique needs of people who have problems chewing, swallowing, digesting or absorbing their food. This includes people with Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, cancer, AIDS, anorexia, people pre and post-surgery, and the elderly. There is currently NO product on the market that matches Absorb Plus in nutritional value or the extremely high quality of our ingredients. One of our customers (who researched the market extensively) put it like this: "The other liquid diet or elemental products are like going to McDonald's, whereas Absorb Plus is like a home-cooked meal!"
Contains cold-extracted whey protein isolate (casein-free and lactose-free), so protein is not denatured by heat or chemicals. Whey isolate is an alkaline food, ideal for counteracting hyper-acidity.
Custom-blend of 10 additional targeted amino acids, specially selected for chronic illness and gut repair, for example:
• Over 1000 mg of L-Glutamine per serving to rebuild mucosal cell lining in intestines
• L-Serine for production of immunoglobulins and antibodies
• L-Threonine to aid formation of collagen and elastin
• L-Cysteine to aid wound healing
• L-Tyrosine to aid function of pituitary, adrenal and thyroid glands
• L-Aspartic Acid to protect the liver
• L-Proline to heal cartilage, strengthen joints, tendons and heart muscle
Our vitamin and mineral panel:
• Full panel of trace minerals – trace mineral deficiency is common in chronic illness.
• Also contains 10 mcg Vitamin K2 (as MK-7; first identified by Dr. Weston A. Price as “Activator X”) and 100 mcg of potassium iodide per serving – since almost all people with chronic illness have adrenal and/or thyroid insufficiency.
• Contains full electrolyte panel.
Formulated to allow people to add their own amount of good fat – since everyone’s fat tolerance level varies. We suggest adding 1 tbsp. organic flax or Udo’s Choice oil (which brings total calorie count to approximately 480 calories per shake).
1 tsp. - 1 tbsp. organic flax or Udo's Oil (as much as you can tolerate)
4 level scoops Absorb Plus
Whip on low speed for 10 to 15 seconds
Pour into a glass over ice and drink slowly.
Absorb Plus is an elemental shake product that I formulated to use for an elemental diet, or a half-elemental diet, or just to supplement your diet with highly nutritious, easily absorbed nutrients - for those who cannot digest or absorb the nutrients from whole foods.
What Is An Elemental Diet?
An elemental diet is also referred to as a bowel rest diet. An elemental diet is a liquid diet that contains all the basic nutrients your body needs. The nutrients are in pre-digested form so they require very little digestion and the nutrients are easily and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. In this way an elemental diet supplies your nutritional needs whilst giving your digestive system a rest. It is effective for people with colitis, Crohn's, diverticulitis, severe IBS, AIDS, the elderly, and some forms of cancer.
The stool that results from an elemental diet is greatly reduced in volume and usually liquid, therefore, it also gives your colon a rest from passing normal stool and thus allows colonic wounds to heal faster.
I used an elemental diet to recover from a bout of hemorrhaging that left me weighing 99 lbs (I'm 5'7"). In six weeks I weighed 135 pounds and was working out at the gym 3 times a week (my complete story and instructions on the type of elemental diet I used are in my book The IBD Remission Diet.)
What Is A Half-Elemental Diet?
A half-elemental diet is used when someone's IBD is still active and they are having difficulty tolerating foods and eating or absorbing adequate nutrition. But for whatever reason, they cannot (or do not want to) do a full elemental diet. So, instead, they consume half their daily calories as elemental diet shakes and the other half is comprised of easily tolerated foods.
In a 2006 clinical trial, doctors assessed 26 patients with Crohn’s Disease, who used a combination of an elemental diet for half of their food intake (900 – 1200 calories per day) and then whatever they wished for the other half (”free diet”). The control group consisted of 25 patients with Crohn’s Disease who just consumed an unrestricted diet, whatever they wanted to eat (100% free diet).
Then, they measured the recurrence of relapse (symptom flare-up) over a two year period. The relapse rate in the half elemental diet group was significantly lower – only 34.6% – versus a relapse rate of 64% in the free diet group.
Important: All elemental diet shakes are VERY sticky on the teeth. So be sure to brush after each shake - pay particular attention to the gum line - to avoid tooth decay.
Transitioning Off Elemental Shakes
Please know that when your digestive system has healed to the point where you can absorb nutrition and you are no longer underweight, then it is likely time to transition off Absorb Plus and onto a whey or veggie protein shake, or easily tolerated foods.
Not only is this cheaper, but it's better for ongoing gut health to avoid simple carbohydrates (like tapioca maltodextrin) when you are able to use superfoods like chia seed and flax seed instead. I have sourced excellent ones for you here, so be sure to check them out when you are ready.
After healing myself of serious Crohn's disease, consulting with people with all types of colon and bowel conditions for over ten years, and answering thousands of questions on my online forum, I have become internationally recognized as an expert on natural remedies for gastrointestinal disease. Even if you have tried every Crohn's, colitis, or diverticulitis treatment available without success, don't give up hope; my natural remedies for bowel and colon disease have helped tens of thousands of people worldwide and my books are sold in over 40 countries.
- Banana Coconut Crème: Organic tapioca Maltodextrin, fructose, natural banana coconut flavor, stevia leaf extract, natural vanilla flavor. Contains MILK
- Click for Banana Coconut Crème Supplement Facts
- Berry Fusion: Tapioca maltodextrin, fructose, natural berry flavor, natural vanilla flavor, beet juice powder (color), stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK
- Click for Berry Fusion Supplement Facts
- Chocolate Royale: Tapioca maltodextrin, cocoa, fructose, natural chocolate flavor, natural vanilla flavor, stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK.
- Click for Chocolate Royale Supplement Facts
- Caramel Toffee Twist: Tapioca maltodextrin, fructose, natural caramel toffee flavor, stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK.
- Click for Caramel Toffee Twist Supplement Facts
- French Vanilla: Tapioca maltodextrin, fructose, natural vanilla flavor, stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK.
- Click for French Vanilla Supplement Facts
- Mocha Grande: Tapioca maltodextrin, fructose, cocoa, natural mocha flavor, stevia leaf extract, natural vanilla flavor. Contains MILK
- Click for Mocha Grande Supplement Facts
- Simply Chocolate: Tapioca maltodextrin, cocoa, dextrose, natural chocolate flavor, natural vanilla flavors, stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK
- Click for Simply Chocolate Supplement Facts
- Simply Vanilla: Organic tapioca maltodextrin, dextrose, natural vanilla flavors, stevia leaf extract. Contains MILK
- Click for Simply Vanilla Supplement Facts
- Unsweetened Chocolate: Organic tapioca maltodextrin, cocoa, natural chocolate flavor, natural vanilla flavor. Contains MILK
- Click for Unsweetened Chocolate Supplement Facts
- Unsweetened Vanilla: Organic tapioca maltodextrin, natural vanilla flavor. Contains MILK
- Click for Unsweetened Vanilla Supplement Facts
- Vegan Unsweetened Vanilla Brûlée: Organic tapioca maltodextrin blend, natural vanilla and caramel flavors.
- Click for Unsweetened Vanilla Brûlée Supplement Facts
- Vegan Mocha Latte: Tapioca maltodextrin, fructose, cocoa, natural mocha and vanilla flavors, stevia leaf extract.
- Click for Mocha Latte Supplement Facts
They taste very much like rice flour.
I have had Crohn’s disease for 19 years and I when I found this drink a couple years ago, I was hooked. I love the taste and I’m pretty sure it has helped me with my weight gain over the years. Will buy any and all flavors in the future. Absolutely scrumptious drink!
I tried this 3 times and each time got super sick. I have SMA syndrome and was hoping this would be the answer. Unfortunately I had horrible full feeling and stomach cramps. Ensure and similar drinks don’t do this to me
I've been doing a partial elemental diet and the absorb plus vegan shakes are a life saver.
This is a great way to not only figure out if you like a certain flavor, but also if you're body can tolerate either the whey protein or the vegan protein.
Loved it, the taste was so good. Just ordered more, going to try the vegan mocha bet is just as good.
I would get it again but feel like it is a little expensive to use every day.
This is very calming to the gut. The unsweetened vanilla smells fantastic but tastes like vanilla cardboard. I am adding a little bit of Physicians Elemental brand formula (dextrose free) to it to make it more palatable. Otherwise very very wonderful product!